Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sweet Nothings On My Ear

My girlfriend's daughter turned 11 this weekend and I was at a loss for what to give her.  I do love making gifts, but what do tweens want?  I know that her mom is a consummate accessorizer, so I decided to go with earrings made from Fimo clay.  I used Fimo soft clay in brown, purple, red, yellow, and blue to create these.
 



Ice cream cones:
    I mixed yellow and brown clay, then made two tiny cone shapes.  I used the edge of a metal ruler to create criss-crossing lines on the cones in a waffle pattern.  I made a ball of blue for the top, pressing one side flat so that it would sit on the cone.  I pressed my thumbnail into the blue ball, all around the edges, making it look like a scoop of ice cream.  I then made a hole diagonally through both cone and ice cream scoop with the earring stem then removed the stem and set the ice cream cones on the cookie sheet.

Chocolate kisses:
     I kneaded two small pieces of brown clay into "kiss" shapes, but wasn't satisfied with the result.  I decided it needed some other color to keep it from too closely resembling... um... you know.  Anyway, I rolled out a teensy snake of purple clay, then flattened it with a roller to make a ribbon.  I wound it around each kiss just once, then stuck the earring stem through, removed the stem, and added these to the cookie sheet.

Cupcakes:
     The bases are brown clay shaped into cylinders and squeezed so that they are slightly smaller at the bottom.  I used the same metal ruler that I used on the ice cream cones to make vertical lines around the outside of the base.  Then I rolled out another teensy purple snake and coiled it around the top to look like icing.  I left a tiny hole at the top of the coil so that i wouldn't mess it up with the earring stem.  I used two extremely tiny specks of red clay to make tiny cherries for the tops of the cupcakes.  I stuck the earring stems through and removed them, then baked all of the treats at 265° F for 30 minutes.  As soon as they had cooled, I put the earring stems back in and bent them into loops with my needle nosed pliers and attached them to earring hooks.


Once they were done, I cut a scrap piece of cardboard into a little rectangle, punched three sets of holes in it, and hooked the earrings onto it.  I decorated a dollar store jewelery box with some delish scrapbooking paper and made an attached gift card.  Sweet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment