Thursday, October 1, 2009

If necessity is the mother of invention, it's the grandmother of improvization.


There comes a time in every woman's life when she has to admit to herself, "I need a new garage door." 

While I have come to the conclusion that replacing the door would be the most attractive option, it is not currently within my budget to do so.  So, when the pains in my back let me know that I could no longer crab-walk under the half-open the door, I knew I needed to find a creative solution.

As you can see in the photo, the wheels of the door are covered in rust.  I wasn't sure if that was the problem or not, but thought I should try to address that first.  Of course, there is no WD40 to be found when you really need it, so I went searching for something else to lube the wheels. 

Being the frugal do-it-yourselfer that I am, I cannot bring myself to pay to have the oil changed in my car.    I generally store the used oil in the bottles that the new oil came in, which is what I came upon while crouching on my knees, peering into the garage.  I poured the used oil into an empty spray bottle, screwed on the sprayer, and went to work.  After just a few squirts on each wheel, the door worked like new!  (It doesn't LOOK like new, but it does WORK like new :-)

Resourcefulness: one; rust: zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment